Monday, January 10, 2011

Now and Later

So I have been on a cooking frenzy for the last month or so. Things with Ryla have finally started to settle down and I have been able to enjoy all the perks that a stay at home mom comes with. To help save a little money, I have been cooking almost every night. I have been LOVING it. Cliff gets home at 5, takes the kiddos downstairs, I turn on some "Friends" and cook away and have a good hour to myself.
When my in-laws were here they surprised us with a deep freezer for Christmas. My father in law brought us a ton of meat from his farm so now we are stocked up!!! My mother in law also got me a cookbook about freezer meals which has been awesome. I made my 4th meal from it tonight. My favorite thing about it is a section called 'Now and Later.' In this section it gives you instructions on how to cook one meal and serve one for dinner that night and freeze the other for later. This is perfect for ANY mom. I finally remembered to take a pic tonight and will take a pic of the other three I did when I get them out of the deep freezer later. I really wanted to share some of the recipes because they have been so delicious. The one I did tonight has been my favorite. Here is a pic of it and also the recipe. If you try it let me know what you think.

CHICKEN POTPIES

4 cups cubed cooked chicken
4 cups frozen Southern-style hash brown potatoes (thawed)
1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted
1 cup milk
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic poweder
1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry

1. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, potatoes, vegetables, soups, mik, sour cream, flour and seasonings. Divided between two 9-inch deep-dish pie plates. Roll out pastry to fit the top of each pie. Cut slits in pastry. Place over filling; trim, seal and flute edges.

2. Cover and freeze one potpie for up to 3 months. Bake the second potpie at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.

3. To use frozen potpie: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover edges loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bade at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees; remove foil and bade 50-55 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield 2 potpies (6 servings each).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well phooey... I have everything but the hashbrowns. Guess I could grate my own...and we had the mixed veggies tonight... oops I want to try this..LOVE Chic Pot Pie... Dustin would gag... he's NEVER liked pot pie.. M and I love it!! you are quite the little SAHM these days... :)

Dawna

The Ferguson Family said...

Laura- This is one of my favorite parts about staying home too! I love to menu plan. Sounds good!

Hyla said...

This sounds delish! I plugged it into my Weight Watchers points system and it is only 10 points for a serving, awesome! We will have to make it this week! Thanks so much for sharing!

Ryla said...

Yay for you!! having a deep freeze makes it so much easier too. Which cookbook did you get? I have some great freezer recipies that I got from a mom at MOPS, I will have to send them to you. And I am looking forward to trying this one!!